Monday, January 7, 2013

I Don't Recommend Staying Awake For 48 Hours

I made it to Leiden! Woo!

Both the flight from Cincinnati and the one to Amsterdam from Chicago were super smooth, which was much appreciated.

Map showing where the plane was at that moment
They had these cool screens on the back of the chairs where they showed movies, tv shows, or this map that showed where the plan currently was and how much time was left in the flight. I was also excited to find How I Met Your Mother on one of the channels. Between those two things I kept pretty busty for a while.

When I got on the plane I started speaking with the woman next to me. I'm sure glad I did! She was so nice and gave me tons of information. She even walked Rachel and I to where we needed to pick up our bags. She was telling me she works on the market analysis team for GPS companies. (I'm sure she was glad to see I was paying such close attention to that map) In her job she usually travels to Europe at least 4 times a year. Guess I decided what I'm doing for a job now!

Huge plane I was on
I assumed it would be pretty easy to sleep on the plane. I usually end up falling asleep on them anyways. The one from Cincinnati I slept the whole time. This one I just couldn't fall asleep. There's no comfortable way to lay/sleep on an airplane! I've decided I can do it for an hour or less just fine. Anything longer than that results in a sleep deprived Amy. Even thought it's only 6:15pm here I think I'm going to go along with what other people said they were going to do tonight and get some sleep!

If you read my previous post you saw a video of the dorm I would be staying in (which it actually looks a little different in person so make sure you check out my pictures of it tomorrow). After they picked us up from the airport they drove us to the Living Learning Center (the dorm I thought I was in originally).  Then they took me and two other girls back out to the van to go to our dorm. We were all giving each other nervous looks as it became a longer and longer ride away from the school.

Daniel Vermeer showed us our three different rooms. Mine is HUGE! I love it. It has a balcony and separate little kitchen and bedroom area and a couch and... well I'll show you the pictures tomorrow when I have sunlight again to take them.

The 3rd floor up balcony is all my room
After we finally dumped our way too heavy suitcases (or was that just me?) we wanted to go explore. The two other girls in this dorm from St Louis both know each other pretty well since they've been good friends since high school. I was a little worried they wouldn't want to add another person to their group. They've been really nice though! We walked around to different parts of the town and worked our way back to Webster to see the route to get there. After our little walk we decided it was necessary to get a bike. EVERYONE (and I mean everyone) has a bike here. There's very few cars, but a bike for every single person. So we'll have to get on that.

Exploring the center of town
I'm going to try to make up for the last 48 hours of basically no sleep. I'll post some picture of my dorm and hopefully some other cool pictures of the city tomorrow!

Love,
Amy

3 comments:

  1. Nighty-Night. Thanks for the update. I just had lunch, so it will be fun to get used to your new time zone when I see your messages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your flight went well. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad it went well too! We prayed all day for smooth air travel for! Naomi helped too :) So excited to see Leiden through your eyes! Sweet dreams aunt sharon and Amy I so lost I have no idea what time it is there when it is 12 am here...I will figure it out :) I love you xox

    ReplyDelete