Hi everyone!
Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while. Between starting classes this week and not feeling well it's been a whirlwind of a week.
I thought the best way to fill you guys in on what's happening is through pictures. So here's some to explain what I've been up to:
 |
| Kate and Nicole |
 |
| Joe and Me |
First up is Amsterdam. We didn't get to see a ton because it was FREEZING. We just couldn't stand being outside for too long. Even having multiple layers didn't help. We did get to see the Anne Frank House though. Which was absolutely amazing. It's a museum in the actual house that her family was in hiding at. They had signs explaining what each room was used for and different facts about her life. It was so touching. Unfortunately we couldn't take pictures inside the museum or I would have a whole album to share.
 |
| The bike garage was even bigger in Amsterdam |
 |
| Amsterdam |
While we were in Amsterdam we found this little pancake house. The pancakes here aren't what you expect though. They're huge. Bigger than my head! They're more like a crepe. The crust is thin and more flakey than a usual pancake. This was my first time trying one of them and I was not disappointed! The one we chose, "Sara's Pancake House", was a just a small diner. It had one guy making all the pancakes himself. It was very cozy and welcoming after being in the freezing cold.
 |
| Cute pancake house |
 |
| GIANT apple pancake |
 |
| One man show |
Something we're strangely amused with is the pidgins. There's pidgins and seagulls everywhere. All the pidgins I've seen in the US run away/fly away if you get close to them. They beg for food, but don't just come over out of curiosity. You can't scare the birds here! They walk right along side you and never fly off. So of course we've tried tons of ways to scare the birds off. Nothing has been successful yet though.
 |
| Trying to capture the pidgin |
 |
| Pidgin casually walking with us |
 |
| Katie trying to claim the Pidgin as her pet, Gary |
 |
| Ah, bird attack! |
It snowed! Leiden is even more beautiful with a blanket of snow over it. I decided after my two pairs of socks were both soaking wet from snow getting through my shoes I needed to invest in some better boots. Having dry and warm feet makes being outside way more bearable.
 |
| View off my balcony |
 |
| View off my balcony |
 |
| Cafe with a good couple inches of snow |
 |
| Snowy Leiden |
I also got to Skype my best friend! It was so nice to see her and get filled in on each other's lives. If anyone wants my Skype name (since I still don't have a phone) just let me know.
 |
| Best friend! |
Next weekend we're supposed to explore some towns outside of Leiden which will be nice since I rested up all this weekend. If any other exciting events happen during the week I'll update you all! I love all the comments as well. I get so excited every time I get an email saying "comment from ____" :)
Love,
Thanks for the update! You're taking some great pictures; you should put together an album.
ReplyDeleteI love all the pictures! I really want that pancake! And I really need your skype name! FB message it to me!
ReplyDeleteMissing you! ANd hope your enjoying my blog as well:)
Wow! Seems like these places you visit get more and more amazing! Bummer that you weren't feeling well but glad you seem to be getting better. Rest is the key! I don't want to see you on FB when I KNOW it's 2am there. Haha. Anyways, hope you have a great week of classes and I can't wait to see the pictures and updates from your next weekend adventure. Remember to ask me to look up where any libraries are...or anything else! ;-) Haha.
ReplyDeleteGood update. Thanks for the photos. And glad you got some boots! I left northern Michigan this morning on a work trip. It was 7 degrees above zero and my garage door was frozen shut at first. Thought I was going to miss my plane but it all worked out. I landed in Austin TX and it was 65 degrees. I feel like I am thawing out. I will get some sun for you tomorrow and hope it warms you up. Let us know what classes you are taking and which is your favorite. Do they feel different than the classes you were taking in the states? (don't know exactly what that last question means, but let's see what you do with it :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update. the pictures are great! really feels like I'm there too. What a pancake! had some last night but mine were much smaller.{really much smaller! lol} I luv the view from ur balcony!It is so pretty.Luv ya bunches. Nana
ReplyDeleteAwesome blog! I do want that pancake too! And holy cow the bike area in Amsterdam was enormous. Uncle Dave would fit right in :) I am so excited for you. It looks amazing. I am glad you invested in good boots. Very important to stay healthy. Sorry you were not feeling great. Happy to hear you are better :) Keep those feet dry. And I could never visit Leiden. Ugh the birds would scare the life out of me. Pet Gary would not make it alive with me xo Love you and keep having fun!
ReplyDelete